Over the years, many things about dating has drastically changed, here’s a snapshot of the not-so-elegant side of modern dating. During the “good old days” deciding to date someone was taken seriously and done with pride. To the contrary, texting instead of calling and horrible date choices are typical occurrences of today. We’re not saying that every dating experience is bad, but we are saying that dating isn’t what it used to be.
Modern Rules of Dating
- Nobody wants to show their true feelings anymore. There is a constant fear of getting played when it comes to dating. The modern mindset is that the person who cares less has all the power in the situation.
- Electronic communication is the norm. Do you remember looking forward to hearing each other’s voice and having late night conversations? For most daters, communication will be via text and complementing each other will be done with Emojis.
- Fairytale romances seem to be far, few and in between. Dating has become so casual that going out just for drinks is considered the norm. And if you do have the chance to go on a decent date, you’re possibly competing against your date’s phone for his attention.
- The unspoken “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy. People aren’t as honest or open about themselves or their personal lives anymore. So, if you don’t ask specific questions about the things you would like to know, then you may not find out until it’s too late.
- Deciphering intentions. Between vague phrases like “let’s chill,” and “I’m talking to someone,” things can easily be misinterpreted. It’s difficult to judge someone’s intentions by inferences instead of direct communication.
- Social media can be evil! Many relationships, new and old, have been destroyed by social media and all of its glory. It keeps us connected to past loves, creates opportunities to cheat, and stirs up plenty of drama from old relationship.
- Fear of commitment. People are so scared of commitment that they remain in a label-free relationship. This complicates things and only works until it doesn’t.
When it comes to dating in the modern world, all hope isn’t lost. Honesty will always be the best policy, so remember to be clear about what you want and are willing to compromise on. You can only control your actions, so try not to take it to heart when someone doesn’t turn out to be the man of your dreams. There are still great candidates out there. Here’s to setting your standards and keeping the faith.